Thank you for visiting Carpingo.com.
Why we collect information
This website collects and stores information that helps us operate our business and serve our members. Some of the main reasons we ask for personal and financial information are: to process your application and reservations, give you access to our vehicles, process bills and payments, maintain your account, and improve our service and offers.
The technical information we collect
Our web servers automatically read and record data about how you got to our website, (e.g., your IP address, browser type and internet service provider) and about how you use our website, (e.g., the links that you click on). We do this by storing cookies on your computer the first time you visit. When you visit Carpingo.com again, the cookies tell us that you are a returning visitor so the content on the website can be tailored to your interests.
The personal information we collect
When you apply to Carpingo and use our services, you voluntarily provide basic information about yourself. Examples of this information are your name, email address, mailing address or phone number. We store such information when provided through a website form, by email, in a chat, over the phone or through any other communication. By using one of these methods to communicate with Carpingo, you consent to have the information you provide stored in the ways described above.
When you apply for Carpingo membership, we ask for your name and contact details as well as your driver’s license number and credit card or other payment information. We may collect additional information needed to process your application such as your official driving record, or information from third-parties needed to provide a Carpingo service or fulfill a transaction you have requested. These details are kept on record with Carpingo for the purpose of serving you.
The usage information we collect
When using Carpingo services, you provide information about your reservations (e.g., the date and time of your reservation, the location and model of the car, etc.) as well as about your use (mileage and gas use, damage if any, etc.). Carpingo stores and uses this information to bill your account, personalize your member experience, answer your inquiries and serve you in the most efficient way possible.
The information described above may also be used to send you periodic offers and news by email or newsletter.
The tracking device (temporary information)
Carpingo cars are fitted with GPS (Global Positioning System) technology that indicates where a car is at any given time. Some important uses of this information are: determining if the car is available at the time and in the place that you are requesting; helping you find a car that you’ve reserved; alerting us to stolen vehicles; and sending roadside assistance if necessary.
The GPS information is stored temporarily and is used exclusively to help Carpingo operate effectively. We do not actively monitor GPS data and we do not store location history after your reservation ends.
Information from/to third parties
There are several instances that require us to share information, as described here:
- We share information when you explicitly consent to share it.
- Some of the information you provide must be shared with regulatory bodies to obtain your driving record and/or with the service companies we use to obtain your record from such bodies. To protect your privacy, we share nothing beyond what is necessary to approve your application.
- If your account is affiliated with another, primary account (for example, if you are an employee on your employer’s business account), the primary account holder or administrator may have limited access to information regarding your use of Carpingo.
- In the event that we are required to provide information by a legal process such as court order, subpoena or requests from law enforcement authorities, we will comply by disclosing your personal information, including location/GPS data.
- In the event that the Carpingo brand is sold, acquired, transferred or merged with another company, the information of our account holders will be transferred to the new ownership along with the rest of our business information. If such a transfer results in a measurable change in the way your personal information is used, we will provide notice about your choice to decline to permit such a transfer.
- The above is true for all corporate transactions, legal proceedings or internal reorganizations related to activities for which the information we collect is kept.
- Finally, we will disclose any necessary information if: 1) we have reason to believe that our website, service or vehicles are being used or have been used in violation of the applicable law or in the commission of a crime; 2) we believe there is a threat to the safety of you or another person; or 3) it is necessary to protect the rights or property of Carpingo or our partners.
Personalized content and advertising
Carpingo may provide our content consultants and advertising partners with basic demographic information about you (such as your zipcode or age group) in order to personalize offers and services, but we do not share information with those parties that personally identifies you.
You can always opt-out of receiving promotional emails by unsubscribing on the bottom of any email. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please be sure to contact us.
If you are a satisfied Carpingo member, you may decide to refer a friend and earn driving perks. Entering a friend’s name and email address into the refer-a-friend widget on our site will send your friend an automatic email invitation to Carpingo.com. His or her name and email address are collected and stored exclusively to send this one-time email and to assess referrals to Carpingo.com. If a referred friend wishes to be removed from our list, he or she is entitled to all of the protections outlined in this policy. However, after being removed, the same name and email address may be added by someone else and stored again.
Where we store information
Carpingo servers are located in the United States of America and in Canada.
Our storage compliance
Our information requests, collection and storage comply with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Data.
Reviewing or correcting your information
As a Carpingo member, you can review any personal information by logging in to your account on Carpingo.com and clicking on the “My Account” button on top of the page.
Deleting your information
We only retain your information as long as your account is active OR as needed to provide you with our services, to comply with the law, settle disagreements, and enforce your membership commitment.
Please contact us if you would like to view, correct or delete personal information held by Carpingo that does not appear in your “My Account” tab. Please contact us if you would like to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services.
Protecting your information
Carpingo takes extra care to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information. This includes encrypting all financial pages with SSL certification, requiring passwords to identify you before granting access to your information, and asking you to verify account information before we confirm or grant access to your personal information over the phone.
We take the internet very seriously and work to protect children from sharing personal information unknowingly. This website is not directed at children and we do not knowingly request information from persons under the age of consent.